CITY OF IONE
REASON FOR REVIEW
The Grand Jury received a citizen's complaint alleging misconduct
by an Ione City Council member. The complaint alleges:
A hostile work environment was created
- The official was in violation of the Ione Municipal
- The City of Ione has no Personnel Manual
In September, 1999, an employee was cleaning sludge from the
drying bed at the City of Ione's Tertiary Wastewater Treatment
Plant when a council member, whose demeanor and language was
allegedly threatening and intimidating, approached him.
- City Council members
- City Administrator
- City Building Inspector
- City Maintenance Supervisor
- Executive Director, Service Employees International
Union (SEIU), Local 4988
- Field Representative, SEIU Local 4988
- Witness to the alleged incident
Ione Municipal Code
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the City of
Ione and SEIU Local 4988
- Written statement by witness to the alleged incident
The council member did approach the employee and make demands in
a hostile manner.
- The council member did use vulgar language.
- The council member did use intimidating gestures.
- The employee filed a formal complaint with his
- Section 2.10.220, Council-Administrator Relations, Ione
Municipal Code, states in part, "....Neither the city council nor
any member thereof shall give orders to any subordinates of the
- Article 19, Procedure for the Resolution of Grievances,
MOU between the City of Ione and SEIU Local 4988, provides a
process for employee's grievances.
- The City failed to investigate the employee's complaint.
- The City does not have a Personnel Manual.
The council member was in violation of Section 2.10.220, Ione
- The supervisor failed to comply with Article 19 of the
MOU by not investigating the employee's complaint.
- The City is in need of personnel policies and
procedures, including provisions pertaining to overtime, which
are necessary to protect employees from arbitrary decisions.
City Council members adhere to Section 2.10.220, Ione Municipal
Code or face censure by the Council.
- All council members adhere to the Ione Municipal Code.
- The City Administrator review the Ione Municipal Code
and protect city employees against this type of action in the
- The Mayor demonstrate leadership when violations of the
- An alternative arbitration procedure be made available
to city employees to provide protection against arbitration
- A Personnel Manual be produced and distributed to all
Table of Contents